|“||Thaumaturgy... which giveth certain order to make strange works, of the sense to be perceived and of men greatly to be wondered at.||”|
– Mathematical Preface to Euclid's Elements (1570), John Dee
ThaumCraft (TC) is a mod included in the Technic pack. Thaumaturgy is the capability of a magician to work miracles. A practitioner of thaumaturgy is a thaumaturge, thaumaturgist or miracle worker. This is what this mod is all about - drawing
magic from physical objects in the form of "Vis" and reshaping it to perform miracles. At its core, this mod allows you to turn raw matter into Vis, which can then be used to power magical symbols, enchant items or even turn back into different, slightly tastier kinds of matter.
Core Items[edit | edit source]
There are several machines in Thaumcraft, however, most of them need Vis. The easiest and most effective way to acquire this magical energy is to make a Crucible. Get Vis by throwing items into it, but be careful not to overfill the Crucible, for if the Vis Crucible spills over, any number of unpleasant events could occur (ranging from the destruction of nearby blocks and explosions to the creation of Thaumic Slimes). Standing on a Vis Crucible deals 1/2 a heart of damage per second. Anything the Crucible cannot process is spit back out at the user.
- Crucible of Eyes - An upgrade of the standard Crucible. It has 10% more vis capacity and will output a redstone signal when it's about to overflow. It will still overflow, however. Standing on a Crucible of Eyes deals 1/2 a heart of damage per second. Anything the Crucible cannot process is spat back out at the user.
- Thaumium Crucible - An upgrade of the Crucible of Eyes. It will also output a redstone signal when it's 90% or more full, but it will never overflow, instead it will wait until it has space to burn the excess items you throw into it. In this way, it can hold an infinite amount of potential Vis. Standing on a Thaumium Crucible deals 1/2 a heart of damage per second. Anything the Crucible cannot process is spit back out at the user.
- Vis Conduit - Essentially, a pipe for Vis. When attatched to a crucible and an object that requires Vis, it will pump Vis automatically to wherever it is needed (assuming that the Vis could logically make the journey).
- Vis Storage Tank - These sturdy tanks can store Vis and Taint for later use by Thaumaturgic creations. Connect them to a Crucible by a Vis Conduit to automatically fill them.
- Thaumic Infuser - An alchemic machine that is used to bind two Thaumic objects to each other. It only works in very specific situations, and requires a Vis supply to function. Infusers can be deactivated if a redstone signal is applied.
- Thaumic Duplicator - An alchemic machine that is used to duplicate raw materials or simple objects. It takes five times more vis to duplicate an object than you would recieve if you burned it in a crucible. It will not be able to duplicate any magical or otherwise complicated items. Duplicators can be deactivated when a redstone signal is applied.
- Vis Condenser - Depletes Crystals to draw Aura out of the air and convert it into Vis. Can be upgraded later to use Tainted Crystals to draw Taint out of the atmosphere as well. A Vis-Using device or Vis Storage Tank must be attached to the Condenser in order to work properly.
- Quaesitum - A magic tablet / writing desk that researches advanced Thaumaturgical discoveries, based on the materials fed into it. Like a vanilla Enchantment Table, this device becomes more efficient when surrounded by Bookshelves.
- Thaumonomicon - An inventory item that serves as a log of all the discoveries the player has researched using the Quaesitum, including their crafting recipes and Vis/Taint costs.
- Thaumcraft Raw Materials - Stuff you need to create the many items and machines of Thaumcraft.
- Thaumatorium - A list of all (or almost all) of the Thaumic machines you can use.
Useful Links and Tutorials[edit | edit source]
- A Tutorial Series that has more or less every single item in it from Thuamcraft Here
- Thaumcraft Research spoilers Here
- A guide to getting started on Thaumcraft can be found here.
- A list of all (Or most of) the items can be found here.
- A youtube video that describes a few useful recipes can be found here.